Our History

Information about the formation of the Scouts was hard to find, but a letter from Mr Jack Foster who at the time lived in Lismore, gave some information.

He said that he had joined the Scouts in 1913 under Scout-master Alex Miller.   There is a photograph of the First troop of Byron Bay scouts taken in 1910 which was only two years after the establishment of the organisation in Great Britain by Lord Baden-Powell in 1908.

 

Mr Foster wrote that he joined the Byron Bay Association in 1938 when his eldest son was a Cub.   He became Cub-master and his wife joined as Assistant Cub-master in December 1938.  (Jack Foster and his parents, Mr and Mrs A. Foster, were for many years prominent citizens in Byron Bay, taking their parts in all movements for the advancement of the town.   Jack was engaged in a carrying business but in later years moved to Lismore, where he was employed at the Lismore Technical College before retiring prior to 1966.)

It was in 1938 that there were two great enthusiasts in Byron Bay, in the persons of Mr J.R. Hunter (Chief Engineer of NORCO and later District Manager) and Dr J. Barnes.   The Boy Scouts had no hall or headquarters of their own and these two men did some battling and got a grant from the government of 300 pounds and built a Scout Hall.   This was erected on the eastern side of the recreation park and was there for a number of years, when it was shifted to the western side, fronting Tennyson Street.   Later, there was another movement started by the Police, which was called the Youth and Fitness Club.   An arrangement was made between the two bodies whereby the Youth and Fitness Club erected an addition to the hall, enlarging it considerably.

 
Join | About Us | Contact Us | Special Events | Payments